Sunday, May 31, 2009

Week 17_Spencer's Sociology Project

So, kids obviously learn all sorts of things from their parents, like their values, likes & dislikes, how to walk & how to drive a car (Teresa would say no one has yet to teach me how to drive properly). Hopefully our child will learn lots of things from Teresa and I so he can grow up to be a good person and not the weird middle aged man wearing tennis shoes with velcro fastners because his parents never taught him to tie his shoes. Hopefully there will also be lots of things he will not learn from us. His mom will need to teach him how to park, especially when turning right into a space. I just can't handle it. Our next door neighbors are going to have to teach him to cook or to eat things other than microwave dinners as neither of his parents can do that.

However, with one person depending on me to teach him so much stuff, I just can't resist the chance to perform a bit of a sociology experiment. I haven't figured out exactly what it will be, but I plan to teach my kid something that is completely harmless yet completely off the wall. It will be something that he is taught to do on his eighteenth birtday but never before or after. I think I will start it out along these lines "Kid, you come from a long line of Shell men who honored the memory of their ancestors by wearing their shirt and pants backwards on the day of their eighteenth birthday. It is a sign of respect for your great, great, great, great grandad Fauntleroy Hosea Shell who first set foot in the New World wearing his clothes backwards to confuse indians trying to sneak up on him." I will tell him the story of Grandappy Fauntleroy over and over again for eighteen years reinforcing in him how important it is that he honor this tradition on his 18th birthday. I also have to remember to instill in him the fact that he should never say a word to his mother about this as she might do something to ruin the fun, I mean experiment, uh no, I mean tradition. So, how will this experiment turn out? Will he wear his clothes backwards on his eighteenth birtday? I don't know, but I bet you are all going to make sure you are at the birthday party to find out.
Now for a bit of houskeeping. My Mom and Dad were nice enough to buy the Kid a wonderul Moses basket for trips away from home or for nights when he doesn't want to sleep in the crib or on Sammy's doggy pillow. See pictures below. Also, Teresa is doing great (still tired a lot). Everyday I realize again how great she is handling the whole pregnancy thing and I am convinced that she is the most beautiful pregnant woman (or any sort of woman for that matter!) that I have ever seen! Don't believe me? I have the picture below to prove it!!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment