Monday, June 22, 2009

Week 21_Spencer Learns the Meaning of Fathers Day

Yesterday was my first official Father's Day. Ok, so technically the kid will not be born for another 19 weeks, but I think that is a technicality and I am at least entitled to Father's Day gifts. I have to admit, I never really "got" Father's Day from a father's perspective. Sure, I have always enjoyed spending time with my Dad on Father's Day and letting him know how much I appreciate him, but I can't say I ever said to myself "I can't wait until I am a father so people will celebrate me on Father's Day!" Let's face it, you don't decorate for it like Halloween or Easter and you don't get nearly as many gifts as you do on Christmas. There aren't even any special Father's Day foods like turkey, or ham, or even Easter eggs. Seems like a low rent holiday from that perspective.....at least that is what I thought until yesterday.....

You see, we spent yesterday celebrating at the Concord Cafe in Concord, GA home of the world famous..., well home of the Concord Cafe I guess. Here I was standing in line at the all you can eat buffet when I overheard a guy in a "Friends Don't Let Friends Fish Sober" shirt talking to his wife. He was simply commenting on the lack of black eyed peas and how there wasn't enough sugar in the sweet tea when suddenly he said "it." Like some redneck version of Solomon he opened his mouth and said "Baby, I like Father's Day cuz I don't half ta do a dang thang you tell me all dang day." And that was it. My world grew silent and in the distance I could hear the rustle of wind. It was like that moment in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" when the Grinch hears all the Who's down in Whooville singing and his heart grows five times bigger. I suddenly understood the meaning of Father's Day. IT WAS A FATHER'S DAY MIRACLE!!!

No, stop. Before you start the hate mail, I am not saying Teresa orders me around alot or asks too much of me or that I need some sort of vacation from her. Quite the opposite in fact, she went out of her way to make my day a little more special than she makes every other day. I think what Cletus the Slack Jawed Yocal was trying to say is that Father's Day is special because it is a day in which our loved ones go out of their way to make that one day special for us and on that one day they are willing to put up with our immaturity and countless other faults.

So, to Cletus I say Happy Father's Day buddy have a Budweiser on me, and to my wonderful wife Teresa, thanks for giving me such a special day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment