Monday, November 16, 2009

The Birth Story- Mimi's Point of View

First of all, I had intended for my mom to be hanging out with me during the afternoon as the contractions were coming on, but not be in the delivery room. I did tell her not to come to the hospital til after lunch though since we were not expected to deliver until later that evening. Luckily she came early. We were hanging out for a bit and then I sent her to McDonalds. Oops! Sorry mom!

Kathy Drew's Point of View:
How do I begin to explain the range of emotion I felt on October 13? I woke up about 9:00 at Teresa's house and immediately called her to see how the night had gone. She informed me she didn't get the cervacil because the nurse said she didn't need it. I thought that was a good sign. Teresa wanted me to go by Target and pick up a mesh laundry bag for baby socks. I don't know why that was so important right then but she said I had plenty of time to do it and I would be bored at the hospital all day. I believed her. I got dressed, went by Target and got to the hospital about 10:30. I relieved Spencer since he had been with her all night. We played guessing games with the monitor as to when she was having contractions and the ones that hurt and the ones that didn't. About 12:00 someone came in and said she was going to get her epidural. She didn't want me in the room for this so I left.I went to McDonald's, stopped by a pay phone bench and worked a crossword puzzle and then went to sit with Kay and Jarrel Shell in the waiting room. We were talking about our jobs and other odd topics when a nurse came out and asked if were the only ones waiting for the Shells. We said "Yes" and she asked us to go to another waiting room. I thought this was odd because it was only about 12:45. I got very scared that Teresa and/or the baby were in some trouble. As we walked down the hall she said that everything had gone well and mom and baby were fine. I told her she must have the wrong mother because my child had just gotten an epidural and I was waiting to go back in the watch TV with her. She said "No" that everything was fine and we could see Teresa soon. I burst into tears and yelled, "Oh my gosh, she had to have a C-section, didn't she?" She said "Yes. Teresa was in recovery and we could see her in about one hour." I told her I wanted to see her immediately and she said only immediate family could go into recovery. I asked her what she thought a mother was if not immediate family. That really hit home! She also said she couldn't give me any details because everything was confidential. I grabbed her by the shoulder and yelled I was her mother and she better tell me something. I told her to send Spencer out and let him tell me details. My imagination was going crazy and I need some details. I gave her my camera and asked her to get pictures of Spencer, Teresa and/or the baby. I was told she kept saying "Henry" but I was too scared to notice it. She brought the camera back in about 5 minutes because I guess she could see I was about to lose it. There were several adorable pictures of Spencer and Henry. This calmed me down quite a bit. In about 15 more minutes Spencer came out. I was never so glad to see anyone in my life. I just wanted details on Teresa and how she was doing. I was sobbing by this time and couldn't stop it.The Shells and I returned to the waiting room and called everyone we knew to give them the good news. THREE hours later Teresa came out of the recovery room and we followed her to her new room. I know I have never been so scared and so happy all in a matter of hours in my life. Henry is wonderful and I just can't get enough of him!

1 comment:

  1. Teresa - I want to know what happened when they gave you the epidural? What happened to Henry that made him have to come out immediately after the epidural went in? I have loved reading all the points of view! Thanks for sharing! XO-HHH

    ReplyDelete